Located at the old Faculty of Hotel and Tourism Management, Biro Penyediaan Teks (Text Preparatory Bureau) or popularly known by its acronym BIROTEKS, was established on 10th January, 1981. Its main function was to publish intellectual and creative authorship by academic and non-academics of Institut Teknologi MARA (ITM), to share and disseminate knowledge among the staff, students and the society at large. Thus, its duties were:
– To encourage the ITM community to write and translate scholarly materials as teaching and learning references at the institution, as well as to champion the Malay language as the language of knowledge.
– To stimulate the publication of academic materials such as books, journals, proceedings, monographs and manual; particularly those which were written by the institution’s academics.
– To determine the publication, promotion and marketing of the published books as approved by the Akaun Amanah (Trust Fund).
– To organise writing and translation courses and workshops for ITM’s academics as well as those from other institutions of higher learning.
With the exception of the last one, these duties remain with some changes made particularly in the marketing aspect, as it was managed by an appointed sole distributor since establishment until the bureau took over the marketing management in 1995. It became more consolidated in 2005 with the set up of the Marketing Unit.
CHANGE OF NAME
Following the UiTM Consolidation Strategy, BIROTEKS was given a new name – Unit Penerbitan Akademik (Academic Publication Unit) or UPENA, effective 15th July, 2001. It remained a unit for no more than five months when on 29th November of the same year, Former Vice-Chancellor Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Abu Shah announced that the university’s publication arm is to be upgraded, hence became Pusat Penerbitan Universiti (University Publication Centre). Albeit the change in name, the acronym UPENA remains.
– On 12th October 2011, Executive Committe No. 21/2011 has agreed that effective 15th November 2011, the University Publication Centre is to be renamed UiTM Press (Penerbit UiTM).
– The main objective of encouraging and stimulating the culture of writing and translating scholarly materials also remains, with amendments made on other objectives as follows:
– To increase high quality academic publication as the catalyst in shaping the community at large to be professional, knowledgeable and independent with calibre and humility.
– To produce literary works as references for academic and intellectual readers.
– To enhance competitiveness in order to be a top publisher in the industry of academic publication in the region.
Today, UiTM Press also publishes books of general yet intellectual concepts to cater for all readers out there. This is because the publication centre no longer focuses on producing text books for UiTM students alone, but also for students of other institutions of higher learning, public and private.
Before 16th August, 2003, it was the Head of UPENA who lead the publication team. Then, the centre is helmed by a director assisted by a deputy director; coordinators for each cluster offered at UiTM who also act as editors; translation officer and publication officers together with an administrative officer and support staff.
There have been 12 academics appointed to spearhead University Publication Centre since its establishment:
- Yg. Bhg. Datin Azizah Mokhzani | (Head)1st January, 1981 – 31st December, 1985
- Assoc. Prof. Mohd Rajib Ghani | (Head)1st January, 1986 – 31st August, 1989
- En. Yunus Mohd Yusof | (Head)1st September ,1989 – 31st October, 1991
- Allahyarham (the late) Dr. Katni Kamsono Kibat | (Head)15th October,1991 – 31st October, 1993
- Prof. Dr. Norkhomar Hj. Ishak | (Head)1st January, 1994 – 31st January, 1998
- Y.Bhg. Datin Zairon Othman | (Acting Head)1st February, 1998 – 28th February, 1999
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hjh. Firdaus Ahmad | (Acting Head)1st March, 1999 – 15th July, 2001
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohd Rasid Hussin | (Head)15th July, 2001 – 15th, August, 2003
- Allahyarham (the late) Assoc. Prof. Dr. Shireen Haron | (Director)16 Ogos 2003 – 31 Julai 2007
- Assoc. Prof. Md. Arris Hj. Abu Yamin | (Acting Director) 1st August, 2007 – 16th June, 2008
- Assoc. Prof. Hajah Hamidah Junid | (Director) 17th June, 2008 – 31st December, 2010
- Prof. Datin Dr. Hajibah Osman | (Director) 1st January, 2011- 23th July 2015.
- Y. Bhg. Prof Madya Dato’ Dr Haji Hilmi Abdul Rahman 1st Dicember 2015 – present
UiTM’s publication arm began its service very humbly for the first couple of years—understaffed and with total quantity of published titles not even close to 10. Today, with increased number of dedicated, hardworking and highly-skilled personnel processing more than 100 raw manuscripts into high quality books, writing has become a culture that has seeped through every campus of the university. The university can be proud of the number of publications per year, which had reached more than 200 titles in 2010. Furthermore, the year 2010 has also witnessed the centre’s 1000th published title—Gaya UPENA, a guide book which would help authors with the rules of publication and the centre’s style in ensuring better and faster editorial process once the manuscript is submitted to be published.